Cream of Kale Soup
All vegetables and chicken stock used in this recipe were organic.
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 45 mins
2 - Yukon Gold Potatoes (medium size; wash well, mince into small cubes; skin on)
1 Medium Spanish Onion (mince)
2 Stalks Celery (mince)
2 Large Carrots (peeled and diced after washing)
4 Garlic Cloves (peeled and minced)
1/2 lbs Kale (Blue Scottish Curled and/or Winterbor varieties as available; wash well; break into small pieces excluding the stalk)
1 Italian Flat Parsley Bunch or Cilantro (1 large bunch: clean and use leaves)
3/4 stick Butter (melted)
2 cups Light Cream
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
1 tsp Oregano (Dry)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
Cayenne Pepper: a dash
- Suggest mincing/dicing and combining all vegetables (except Kale) together in small bowl; add olive oil to skillet on medium heat and cook for several minutes with stirring (approx. 8 minutes).
- Add chicken stock, lemon juice, butter, Cayenne pepper, oregano and Kale to skillet or Dutch Oven. Cover and let simmer for 1 ½ hours (low heat). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Let mixture cool and fill a blender with approximately 3 cups of cooked vegetables/chicken stock and 1 cup cream at a time and blend.
- Repeat this procedure until all of the vegetable mix and cream are blended.
- Return blended vegetables/cream mixture to skillet, add nutmeg and cook until mixture simmers, stirring frequently. Serve hot. Soup can be frozen in portions and used at a later date.
*Mince vegetables into small piece.