Fried Green Tomatoes
Steve Gordon | February 13, 2012, Taste of Southern Magazine.
Serving Size: 2
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
3 Firm, Large Green Slicing Tomatoes, without any hints of pink or red in their coloring
1 cup Four
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
- Wash, rinse, and pat dry your tomatoes
- Slice off the ends of the tomato and discard.
- Slice each tomato in thick slices, about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Place the slices on a wire rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with Salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Setup your containers to dredge the tomato slices. (rectangular dishes preferably).
- Pour flour into one container, buttermilk into one and corn meal into another After 15 minutes, use a paper towel and pat the liquid off the sliced up green tomatoes.
- Sprinkle both sides with Black Pepper, Salt, and a pinch of Sugar.
- Dredge each slice, one at a time, in each container. Gently remove any excess (using a fork helps).
- Dredge in the Flour first. (Break up any lumps as you see them using a fork.)
- Dredge in the Buttermilk. (Let excess drip off)
- Dredge in the Corn Meal.
- Set each slice back on the wire rack and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Add Oil and 1 Tablespoon of Butter to skillet on medium heat. ( If 2 drops of water added to oil makes popping sound, oil is hot enough.)
- Fry until done on both sides, remove to a paper towel and let drain. ( Don’t overcrowd slices in skillet)
- Serve with your favorite sauces or dressing.